Blog Away Hunger

Monday, March 14, 2011

Made in Chennai

Can you tell I'm on about these right now?

For anyone who isn't familar, Royal Enfield was a British motorcycle firm that has been in existence since the late 19th century. In the 1950's, due to large orders from the Indian government, they began building some of the bikes in India under a subsidiary. The bikes themselves have not changed much since this time, and the riding community is something of a cult. These are still largely hand-assembled in cottage industry fashion.

Anyway, I was motivated to make this post because they just released a cool promotional video. I was in Chennai for a short while in 2001 but I didn't get the chance to visit the factory. Seeing this makes me regret that even more. Watch in HD.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels