Blog Away Hunger

Thursday, October 8, 2009

expensive

I know I've had a lot of gaming posts lately, and I'm sure there will be a few more before I shift back to something else. Bear with me.

Anyway, a prototype "SNES CD" controller is apparently up for sale on DigitPress.

The Sony Playstation originally started out as a joint venture between Nintendo and Sony as a CD add-on (i.e. like Sega CD) for the SNES/Super Famicom. Hiroshi Yamauchi freaked at some point about who would own the rights to the new CD games and killed the whole project. Sony, at least partially out of vengeance, then went ahead and turned the technology into the Playstation.

Some of the original SNES CD stuff still exists, mainly development kits and whatnot. A complete SNCD devkit is probably a priceless item, but this is the second time I've seen a controller go up for sale.

This guy is asking $3,000 for his. Expensive, but it's definitely a unique thing and of some historical importance (to nerds).

It's for sale on DigitPress in the "buy/sell" section of their forums right now.




No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels